Wayne & Belle

Wayne & Belle
Sassamat Lake

Sunday 15 May 2011

Double Standard

As much as I hate getting into the unfathomable conundrum that is religion I can't pass on this one. 


The issue of Bountiful and polygamy seem to be beyond the ability of our courts to address, to me it is quite simple. All of us are considered free in Canada and enjoy certain rights and protections under the law, but if I was to have sex with a 15 year old I would be  be charged with statutory rape even if it was consensual, it is against the law to marry more than one woman at a time and I would be charged with bigamy and once again be sent to jail, it is also against the law to abuse children and yes once again see me going to jail, it is against the law to yell fire in a crowded theatre. 


The point is there are many acts that we as free people are not allowed to do simply because it is the law and in most cases just common sense as well. 
But its seems that if you invoke the word or idea of religion or God into many of these acts all of a sudden it's all right. 


I don't get it even the Mormons have prohibited this practice for a hundred years. 


If there is a problem with the charter of rights and this issue, which I don't believe for a minute, the charter contains a not withstanding clause that could solve that problem too. 


The real issue is all Canadians are supposed to be equal under the law and we obviously are not when people can flaunt our laws so brazenly with impunity.


Wayne Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment