Wayne & Belle

Wayne & Belle
Sassamat Lake

Wednesday 23 March 2016

Canadian morals

I was hoping Canadians were over that There I go again that unpleasant feeling of being ashamed of being a Canadian, the last time was just months ago when a Canadian candidate for PM in the last Federal election did a credible impression of a frontrunning Republican Presidential candidate spouting hate, intolerance and Religiophobia. I don’t know how many protests I have been in over the years, probably the first about Bill Bennet and his restraint abomination then more recently C-51, contempt, Omnibus C-38 and the severe trashing of Canada’s environmental laws, C-23 an attack on democracy to name a few, and there would be 30-50 people out there with me braving the wet and cold and I would always wonder where everyone else was, was I wrong weren’t these important issues in a democracy, a supposedly free country, I guess not. Then I read the paper the other day and there they were 1000 people out in the street protesting what it would seem really matters to them, the homeless getting a roof over their heads. There they were 1000 people that are angry that something is finally being done about this national homeless travesty, not for an instant realizing these people are victims not villains, although I am sure if you really looked hard there would be a few in their ranks as there are in all segments of society, first a lot of them are physically or mentally handicapped, the last figures I saw it was 40 percent then you have the people that are victims of a government that has allowed companies to export Canadian jobs overseas and still others that are displaced by foreign workers that are brought right in to Canada to do Canadian jobs for less money, and then you even have people that do have jobs, but don't make enough money to eat and have a roof over their heads too. For the most part all this hate anger and intolerance and total lack of compassion breaks down into two things, not in my back yard and I won’t pay for it. There are no easy answers to this growing festering, marginalizing, disenfranchising of a whole new underclass of people we have purposely created, ironically starting with that very first protest I went to, Bill Bennet’s RESTRAINT. There are many aspects to this problem and there obviously is no magic bullet, just trying different things until there is no more problem, it will not be easy, but the first and most important thing is to start somewhere and adjust it till the problem no longer exists or at the very least not a colossal national disgrace that it is now. Make no mistake if we do not fix this travesty it shall become even worse as even more Canadians jobs are sent overseas and foreign workers do our jobs even here at home thanks to TTP and 49 other bad trade scams, and never mind the coming automation wave that is about to hit us, stores and factories with no employees. Believe it or not most people are about 3 paydays away from being homeless if you are unfortunate enough to have no family or friends you can live with till you can find some way to support yourself. I shall look back at my life and try to figure out where my morals and core beliefs skewed drasticaly away from the rest of my fellow Canadians values, I suspect that it would be about a decade ago. There but for the grace of god go you and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment